3rd-6th Grades (required for B'nei Mitzvah)
7th Grade (optional, encouraged for students with spring/summer B'nei Mitzvah dates)
Rebecca DeHovitz, Hebrew Program Director
Beth Am's Hebrew Program has four main goals:
- Students will learn basic Hebrew reading skills, and they will emerge from Hebrew program ready to begin preparation for B’nei Mitzvah.
- By studying Modern Hebrew, students will experience Hebrew as a living language and develop a sense of connection with the State of Israel.
- Students will get a positive “taste” of the Hebrew language that will encourage them to pursue further Hebrew studies in high school and college and encourage travel to Israel.
- By studying the major prayers of Jewish tradition in translation, and by engaging in regular worship,students will become familiar with, and explore the meanings of, the Jewish prayers that they will encounter most often throughout their lives. They will be encouraged to ask questions about God and spirituality, and to develop a sense of how the prayers are relevant to them.
Beth Am Hebrew students attend Hebrew one day per week, in addition to their selection for Judaica. Hebrew Class, Small Group and Individual Tutoring options are all available. 3rd graders learn how to decode Hebrew letters and vowels; 4th and 5th graders mix learning modern Hebrew and traditional prayers; and 6th graders focus on prayer. The optional semester in 7th grade focuses on prayer as well as following student interests, and is geared toward students whose B'nei Mitzvah fall in spring or summer of their 7th grade year or later.
- 3rd - 6th Grades, Wednesdays or Thursdays, 4:00 - 6:00 PM Includes Hebrew through Movement, pull-out tutoring, weekly t'filah (worship) and an experiential activity for each grade.
- 5th-6th Grades also have the option of Sundays, 9:00 - 11:30 AM (during Sunday Program). Includes Hebrew through Movement, pull-out tutoring, weekly t'filah with Sunday Program and an experiential activity for each grade.
- 7th Grade (1st Semester Only: encouraged for students with spring/summer B'nei Mitzvah dates), Sunday 9:00-11:30 AM, 7th Grade Hebrew Class is recommended for students who will celebrate their B'nei Mitzvah in June of their 7th grade year or later.
Individual and Small Group Hebrew Tutoring:
In Individual Tutoring, students work one-on-one with a Beth Am tutor who is also a teacher in our programs. Small Group Tutoring groups are made up of 2-4 students. Students in both options follow the regular Hebrew curriculum, and students are expected to meet with their tutors weekly, 22 times during the school year. Tutoring and Small Groups may be done at Beth Am or at students’ homes, and sessions will be (for Individual) 45 minutes or (for Small Groups) one hour long. Individual and Small Group schedules are determined directly by tutors and parents. *For students in individual and group tutoring, please schedule a first Hebrew tutoring date by Friday, September 23, 2016.
Note: Unfortunately, due to the high cost of providing personal tutoring, we will not be able to offer scholarships for students for individual and small group tutoring.